Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tigers fall 3-2 to Moncton

Photo by Carter Hutton
Photo by Carter Hutton

Game recap by: Kirk Jessome

(Halifax, NS) – On a scorching hot Saturday afternoon, the Dalhousie Tigers faced off against l'Université de Moncton Aigles Bleus in a high scoring affair. With goals coming back and forth from both teams, it took one coming in the 84th minute to be the deciding factor as Moncton was able to hold on for a 3-2 win.

The match was off to a furious start from the opening kick, as Moncton used the first possession to test keeper Ben Grondin (Calgary, AB) early. Moncton continued to press into the Tigers end, as play in the box resulted in a penalty kick being awarded to l'Aigles Bleus. Alban Komlan Akakpo (Moncton, NB) stepped up to the dot and hammered it into the right corner to give UdeM a 1-0 lead early in the game.

After more shots being directed toward Grondin, the Tigers pushed back offensively and kept possession in the attacking half. In the 22nd minute, a beautiful cross was sent into the box by Enrico Rodriguez (Halifax, NS) that midfielder, Freddy Bekkers (Halifax, NS) rose up and headed over top of the Moncton keeper. With that, the game was even at 1-1, still early in the first half.

Both teams proved to be resilient after giving up a goal, as Moncton came back with three quick shots on goal, but all of which were handled easily by the Tigers keeper.

Goals weren't in a shortage in the first half, as Moncton once again took the lead in the 38th minute. Eder de Jesus Arias Mayen (Montreal, QC) sent a corner kick long into the far side of the box which connected with Maxime Barrier (Ceyrat, FR), who directed his header back across the box to Alban Komlan Akakpo who put the volley home for his second goal of the match.

A rapid-fire first half came to a close with UdeM leading 2-1 over the Tigers.

The second half opened with Jean-Michel Dako (Quebec, QC) delivering a strike at the bottom corner of the net that was deflected away by the Tigers keeper, Ben Grondin, and bounced back to the foot of Dako, but his rebound opportunity was deflected away off a defender.

The Tigers continued to press into the attacking end for most of the second half. Even with the extra time of possession, they couldn't manage to generate many scoring chances that proved threatening.

L'Aigles Bleu, however, continued to make the most of their counter-attacking style of offense. As the late minutes of the half were ticking away and the Tigers were working hard to find an equalizer, play quickly switched ends and Moncton capitalized on a shot from Hertier Masimengo (Kinshasa, CG) who extended the lead to 3-1 in the 84th minute.

Just as the game was starting to look out of reach, the Tigers came back with a goal of their own in the 90th minute as a clearing attempt ended up back in the box and Kieran Moore (Cornwall, PEI) was in the right place to tap it home and bring the Tigers within one.

The Tigers rushed the ball back to the center dot to try and get one more chance to tie it up, but time was not on their side as Moncton was able to clear the ball and the final whistle blew. L'Université de Moncton was able to survive a late scare and hold on for a 3-2 victory.

The Subway Player of the Game was Alexandre Thériault (Bathurst, NB)

The Tigers play again on the 30th when they visit Mount Allison, while UdeM will travel to Acadia tomorrow to take on the Axemen.