Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tigers remain undefeated by topping Memorial 2-1

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

Game recap by: Kirk Jessome

(Halifax, NS) – Wickwire field in Halifax played host to a showcase of two undefeated teams as the Memorial Sea-Hawks visited the Dalhousie Tigers. After surviving plenty of pressure late in the game, the Tigers two second-half goals were enough for a 2-1 win.

The game got off to a back-and-forth start with great displays of passing skill, but not a lot of chances were generated in the early minutes of the first half.

The first real chance of the game was also the first goal. A Memorial shot was punched out of the box by Tigers keeper TJ Leopold (Halifax, NS) but the rebound ended up on the boot of Tyler Forsey (St. Phillips, NL) who buried the chance to put the Sea-Hawks up 1-0.

The Tigers came back with pressure of their own, but couldn't generate a real scoring chance till the 36th minute on a shot from Hassan Alnuwaysir (Riyadh, SB), but it was covered up nicely by keeper Braedan Sheppard (St. John's, NL).

The Sea-Hawks put some pressure on the Tigers defence at the end of the half with a lot of the possession being in the attacking third, but they didn't manage to put any more shots on goal. The half came to an end with Memorial leading 1-0.

The Tigers came out flying to start the second half with a quick goal from Kallen Heenan (Dartmouth, NS) on a free kick from just outside the box. The Tigers then followed that chance up with another set-play shot from Alnuwaysir that was swallowed up by by Sheppard.

Memorial immediately turned it around and forced a free kick of their own from just outside the box taken by Michael O'Brien (Mount Pearl, NL), but it deflected away off the wall in front.

The pace of the game was incredible as the Tigers came back with a great chance in the box that resulted in a penalty kick. Freddy Bekkers (Halifax, NS) stepped up and buried it in the top corner to give the Tigers their first lead of the game at 2-1.

The Sea-Hawks were once again strong at the end of the half and held pressure in the attacking end, but couldn't come up with the equalizer.

The Subway Player of the Game was Kallen Heenan for his free-kick goal to tie the game.

The Tigers continue their home stand on the 22nd against StFX, and Memorial will look to bounce back against Cape Breton on the 23rd.