Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Playfair Gets Goal and Assist as Tigers Shutout Aigles Bleus 4-0

Photo courtesy of Trevor MacMillan
Photo courtesy of Trevor MacMillan

By Mark Moffat

In AUS men's hockey action at the Halifax Forum, the Dalhousie Tigers defeated the Moncton Aigles Bleus 4-0 in a game where the Tigers held control for most of the contest.

The first period saw Dalhousie get a great chance to score first when the point shot of Aiden Jamieson (Lindsay, ON) was tipped in front and into the mesh about halfway through the first. The Tigers opened the scoring when the point shot of Evan Scott (Montreal, QC) hit the leg of Jean-Francois Plante (Sherbrooke, QC) and went in at 12:02 to make it 1-0. Moncton almost scored when Marc-Anthony Therrien (Nicolet, QC) barely made contact with the puck around the side of the net with about five minutes left to keep the score 1-0 after the first period.

In the second period, both teams were in a protracted struggle to begin the period as they went for 6:32 straight until the first whistle. Dalhousie almost got another when Subway Player of the Game Jackson Playfair (Fort St. James, BC) fired a shot off the post off a great burst of speed about 11 minutes in to keep it 1-0. Dalhousie padded their lead when Playfair tipped a shot from halfway between the blue line and top of the circle at 11:06 on a four minute powerplay to make it 2-0. Moncton almost got on the board when the point shot of Jean-Sebastien Fournier (Levis, QC) sailed through traffic and off the post with about a minute left in the period, leaving the score 2-0 after two periods.

As the third period got underway, The Tigers got another one when Mike Evelyn (Ottawa, ON) tipped a point shot into the net at 2:38 on a five minute powerplay to make it 3-0. Moncton got another chance when Robbie Graham (Richibuctou, NB) got the puck after some pretty passing with about ten and half minutes left in the third, but missed the net on his shot. Dalhousie kept up the offence when Jonathan Cyr (Ottawa, ON) tipped another point shot in at 10:48 to help seal the Tigers victory.

The Tigers outshot the Aigles Bleus 39-25. Corbin Boes (Saskatoon, SK) made 25 saves to get the shutout for the Tigers, while Alexi Thibaudeau (Gatineau, QC) stopped 35 shots for Moncton.

Dalhousie's next game is on Wednesday at 7:00 pm against the Saint Mary's Huskies at the Forum, while the Aigles Bleus next see action tomorrow at 7 against the StFX X-Men in Antigonish.