Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tigers earn first victory with 2-0 win over MtA

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

Game recap by Kirk Jessome

(Halifax, NS) – In Wednesday night hockey action, the Dalhousie Tigers hosted the Mount Allison Mounties at the Halifax Forum. The Tigers found two goals in less than a minute in the second to help push them to a 2-0 victory.

The Mounties were able to come up with the first chance of the game when Mariah Linehan (New Glasgow, NS) broke into the Tigers zone on a partial break. Linehan was able to stay a stride ahead of the Tigers defender and tried to force Fabiana Petricca (Woodbridge, ON) to make the first move, but the Tigers goaltender stood her ground to make the stop.

The majority of the attacking chances in the period came during long stretches of pressure from the Mounties holding the zone and putting plenty of pucks toward Petricca.

The Tigers were able to generate a few counter-attacks in the period, but none proved threatening as at the end of a quiet first period, the teams were still scoreless.

The Tigers opened the second period with an extended stretch of pressure in the attacking end with Tara Morning (Aurora, ON) doing a great job of cycling the puck and creating traffic toward the goal for a nice chance, but Kaitlin Mowbray (Whitby, ON) was able to hold her post on the wrap-around attempt.

Continuing to hold that pressure in the attacking end, the Tigers were finally able to break the longstanding deadlock. On a play out of the corner, Isabella Weist (Torbay, NL) was able to collect the puck in the slot for a quick shot that Mowbray was able to handle, but the rebound was left in the crease for Danika Phillips (Barrie, ON) was able to hammer it home.

Just seconds later, the Tigers were able to find another goal to extend their lead after Kennedy Whelan (Alliston, ON) made a great play along the boards in the attacking end to create a turnover for Lauren Ellerton (Toronto, ON) to pick up at the point to send a long wrist shot toward goal that got through a crowd in front. Mowbray was unable to pick it up as it snuck under her pad and the Tigers quickly went up 2-0 as the second period expired.

The Mounties penalty kill was strong throughout the game, and the special teams group continued to get the job done in the third period with the Tigers looking to get an insurance goal while on the power play.

Desperately looking for a goal to bring them within one, the Mounties pressured late in the game, but time was running out for them. They had one last great chance for a goal in the dying seconds as Petricca was caught out of her net, but her defenders came to her rescue and cleared the puck as the final buzzer rang. 

The Tigers held on for the 2-0 win on the back of 21 saves from Petricca to collect a shutout in the team's first victory on the season. Danika Phillips was named the Subway Player of the Game for scoring the game-winning goal for the Tigers.

The Tigers will look to keep their momentum going as they are back on home ice on Friday against St. Thomas, while Mount Allison will also have their next game at home against Moncton.