Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Reds defeat Tigers 5-1

Reds defeat Tigers 5-1

Game recap by: Nathan Cooper

Reds defeat Tigers 5-1

(HALIFAX, NS) The Dalhousie Tigers (2-10) hosted the University of New Brunswick Reds (11-2) in some Saturday night AUS hockey action. The Reds offensive abilities were shown on display, as they went on to defeat the Tigers 5-1.

Tigers centre Colton Heffley (Swift Current, SK) won the opening faceoff and the game was underway. The Reds held the puck deep in the Tigers zone for the majority of the period. It was clear that Tigers goaltender Reilly Pickard (Halifax, NS) would have to have a very solid game to give the Tigers a chance against the top seed Reds.

The Tigers had their best chance of the period with five minutes left, when Heffley made a powerful move down the left wing, ripping a wrist shot of the crossbar. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Reds Stephen Anderson (Morell, PE) used the rebound off of the shot to force a two on one counter attack. Anderson beat Pickard with a quick wrist shot over the shoulder to give the Reds a 1-0 advantage.

The Reds continued to press, firing shot after shot at Pickard. Pickard made an incredible glove save on a Reds two on one attack, to deflate the Reds momentum. Tigers Kelly Bent (Halifax, NS) and Mike Evelyn (Ottawa, ON) both picked up penalties late in the period, to give the Reds a full two minute five on three advantage. Pickard came up huge for the Tigers, shutting the door on multiple dangerous attacks by the Reds and killing the entire penalty. The first period ended with the Tigers being outshot 23 to seven.

As the second period began, the Reds quickly went on the attack, firing three early shots on Pickard. The Tigers got a quick break as Christopher Clapperton (Cap d'Espoir, QC) got a 2-minute penalty for roughing. The Reds though were easily able to kill the penalty, actually creating a few short-handed attacks for themselves.

Andrew Shewfelt (Dartmouth, NS) made a very crafty play lifting the stick of a UNB defender, snapping a quick shot on Reds goaltender Alex Dubeau (Mascouche, QC). Neither team held much positive possession in the next few minutes of play. The Reds gave the Tigers another chance, when Kris Bennett (Brampton, ON) was given a 2-minute penalty for kneeing. The Tigers made a few threatening attacks in the Reds zone, but the Reds were able to kill another power-play.

The Tigers and the Reds both battled hard for the remainder of the second period. The Reds continued to attack Pickard from every angle, but to no avail. Pickard's 40 saves through the first two periods were pivotal in keeping the Tigers in this game.  

The fast-paced play continued in the opening minutes of the third period. After two minutes of play, Cameron Brace (Etobicoke, ON) put a wrist shot over Pickard's left shoulder to put the Reds up 2-0.

The Reds were very fortunate when a miss-fired pass took a bad bounce off Evan Scott (Montreal, QC) and beat Pickard on the short-side. The goal was awarded to Tyler Boland, assists from Bennett and Matthew Boucher (Los Angeles, CA)

The Tigers efforts were clearly deflated in the next few minutes of play. Tristan Pomerleau (Riviere-du-Loup, QC) carried the puck across the blue line, made an decisive fake shot and found Anderson for the easy tap in to give the Reds their third goal in less than six minutes of play.

With five minutes left in the game, fifth-year defender Randy Gazzola (Thorold, ON) took advantage of a power play, bagging the fifth of the game for the Reds. The assist came from Clapperton. 

Just when it seemed like the shutout was inevitable, Dillon Boucher (Head Chezzetcook, NS) ripped a goal from high in the slot with only nine seconds remaining in the game. The Tigers fought hard throughout the game, but the Reds 54 shots were too much for Pickard and the Tigers to handle.  

Anderson's two goals earned him the Subway Player of the Game. Honourable mention to Pickard for making 49 stops on 54 shots. 

The Tigers continue their home stand as they face the Aigles Bleus at the Halifax Forum on Wednesday. The Reds are next in action against the Huskies at home this Friday.