Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Saint Mary's edges Dal 5-4

Photo by Carter Hutton
Photo by Carter Hutton

(Halifax, N.S.) – Five separate players found the back of the net for the Saint Mary's Huskies (12-12-1) on Wednesday night, as they were able to top the Dalhousie Tigers (8-14-3) 5-4 on Bell Let's Talk Day at the Halifax Forum.

Saint Mary's controlled the pace of play in the opening 15 minutes of the first period, before the Tigers responded with a few quality chances of their own. After all was said and done, the Huskies would head into the intermission with a 2-1 lead.   

Saint Mary's got the scoring started at 7:22 on a one-timer from forward Calder Brooks (Emerald Park, SK), after a giveaway in front of the Tigers net.

Dalhousie had a few chances to even the score, their best opportunity occurring with six minutes left on a 4-on-1. Defenceman Myles McGurty (Hoboken, NJ) was the recipient of some crisp passing, and beat Huskies goalie Cole Cheveldave (Calgary, AB) but was unable to hit the net.

Saint Mary's would add to their lead just under two minutes afterwards, as forward Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) potted a loose puck in front that the Tigers were unable to clear.

Dalhousie would answer back at though, as forward Andrew Rieder (Regina, SK) blasted a shot past Cheveldave at 17:05 to decrease the Huskies lead to one.

The middle frame featured a flurry of action, with both teams finding the back of the net twice.

Saint Mary's would restore their two-goal lead just 38 seconds into the second period on the powerplay, as defenceman Kyle Pereira (Brampton, ON) netted a one-timer from the point.

The Huskies would add to their lead at 4:53, on a one-timer from forward Stephen Shipley (Ilderton, ON) just inside the blue line that slipped between the pads of Dalhousie goalie Jacob Fancy (Sackville, NS).

Dalhousie had a few opportunities to decrease Saint Mary's lead in the second period's opening minutes, including a 2-on-1, as well as a partial breakaway, however both chances were stymied by Cheveldave.  

The Tigers would be rewarded for their early efforts via the powerplay, as they were able to score two goals less than a minute apart – both with the man advantage.

Rieder would make the score 4-2 with a shot from just inside the Huskies zone that went off the crossbar and in at 9:52. Forward Phil Gadoury would then lower the Huskies lead to one with a rocket from the point that went top shelf.

The Tigers ran into penalty trouble in the final 20 minutes and the Huskies were able to capitalize, increasing their lead back to two with the man-advantage at 4:36.

Forward Bronson Beaton (Springhill, NS) was able to blast a loose puck home off of an initial Saint Mary's shot that went off the mask of Fancy.

Yet again Dalhousie would respond, as Gadoury snuck past the Huskies defence and slid a shot behind Cheveldave with just over four minutes left to play.

The Tigers would pull their goalie in the final 30 seconds of play, but were unable to even the score as the Huskies emerged with the one-goal win.

Both teams are back in action on the road this Friday. Dalhousie takes on Acadia while Saint Mary's will battle StFX.