Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

UNB tops Dal 4-1

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

(Halifax, N.S.) – The UNB Varsity Reds took advantage of a penalty-filled contest to defeat the Dalhousie Tigers 4-1 on Saturday night at the Halifax Forum.

The visitors scored two of their four goals with the man advantage en route to the victory.

The game got off to a sluggish start, as the two teams surrendered a combined 12 minutes in penalties in the first frame. It was the Varsity Reds who took control however, scoring twice in the final five minutes of the opening period.

Forward Mark Simpson (Fredericton, NB) got the scoring started at 14:58, breaking in shorthanded and beating Dalhousie goalie Corbin Boes (Saskatoon, SK) high glove side on a partial breakaway.

The Varsity Reds would add to their lead in the final minute on the powerplay, as forward Christopher Clapperton (Cap Espoir, QC) was able to tap in a rebound past the left blocker of Boes.

The second period was also littered with penalties. Through two periods of play, the two squads had spent a combined 24 minutes in the sin bin.

Despite taking four minor penalties in the period, it was the Varsity Reds that netted the lone goal in the middle frame, coming on their only powerplay opportunity. Defenceman Jordan Murray (Riverview, NB) was able to blast a slapshot past Boes at 5:03 to make the score 3-0.

The Tigers managed just two shots on net in the second period, with their best chance coming in the final four minutes, after Murray took a double-minor for high sticking. UNB's defence stood firm however, allowing very little to get to goaltender goaltender Alex Dubeau (Mascouche, QC).

UNB had an excellent chance to increase their lead in the opening five minutes of the third, as they had a five-on-three advantage, however the Dalhousie's penalty kill unit stood their ground to keep the game within reach.

The Tigers would crack Dubeau's shutout bid at 15:57, as forward Jackson Playfair (Fort St.James, BC) netted a shot from the right slot, however it was too little too late for the hosts, as the Varsity Reds would put the game away with an empty net goal in the final two minutes of play.

With the win, the Varsity Reds advanced to 10-0-2, while the Tigers fell to 5-5-3. UNB's next action goes on Wednesday as they visit UPEI, while Dalhousie's next contest goes on Friday at home against Acadia.