Strong second period pushes Dal over Laurier 6-0

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

(HALIFAX, N.S.) – Five goals in the second period helped the Dalhousie Tigers top the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks 6-0 in inter-conference exhibition play at the Halifax Forum on Saturday afternoon.

The Golden Hawks ran into penalty trouble early in the opening period and the Tigers were able to capitalize, thanks to an excellent defensive play by forward Andrew Rieder (Regina, SK).

Shorthanded, Laurier was heading in on an odd-man rush, however Rieder was able to dive between an intended pass, leading to a 3-on-2 the other way for Dalhousie, which was finished off on a wrister at 2:01 of the first frame by forward Daniel Walsh (Gloucester, ON).

The home side kept the pressure on in the opening 10 minutes, thanks to a strong forecheck. Forward Fabian Walsh (Gloucester, ON) had a chance to increase the Tigers lead to two, however his backhand shot from just inside the crease was deflected away by the Golden Hawks.

Laurier battled back in the final five minutes of the period, using crisp passing to set up a few open looks for their forwards.

Both right winger Andrew Fritsch (Branford, ON) and centre Danny Hanlon (Waterloo, ON) had quality opportunities from within the point, but were stymied by Dalhousie goalie Corbin Boes (Saskatoon, SK), to keep the score 1-0 heading into the first intermission.

Special teams had a huge role in the outcome of the second period, as Laurier had three powerplays, including a 5-on-3 but couldn't get much past the Tigers defence.

The home side on the other hand, was able to score on their lone man-advantage of the period, courtesy of Felix Page (Montreal, QC) at 3:58 hich made the score 2-0.

The Tigers blew the game wide open with four goals in the final four-and-a-half minutes of play. Four different forwards contributed during that time, with goals coming from Page, Kelly Bent (Halifax, NS), Colton Parsons (Kingston, NS) and Phil Gaboury (Montreal, QC) to make the score 6-0 heading into the third.

Laurier had their share of chances in the middle frame, the best of which occurred just after a Dalhousie penalty had expired, as defenceman Mac Clutsam (Flamborough, ON) found himself wide open just outside the crease, but couldn't beat Boes.

The closing 20 minutes featured quality chances on both sides, with each goalie up to the test as the game ended in a 6-0 final.

Dalhousie's best chance came off the stick of forward Andrew Wiggington (Sackville, NS) within the crease, but his shot went just wide.

The Golden Hawks biggest opportunity occurred with eight minutes left, as centre Danny Hanlon was left open just inside the left point, but Boes stood his ground, finishing the game with a 31-save shutout. Laurier goalie Vinny Merante (Niagra Falls, ON) played valiantly in the loss, with 35 saves.

The Tigers next pre-season action goes on Saturday, Oct. 1 as they take on NCAA team UMass Amherst, while Laurier will also face an NCAA team – Ohio State – on Oct. 2. 

By: Mike Still, Dalhousie Athletics