Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

UNB defeats Dal 66-63

Photo by Carter Hutton
Photo by Carter Hutton

(Halifax, N.S.) – An and-one from guard Hess Mayele (Montreal, QC) with just seven seconds left helped the UNB Varsity Reds (9-4) defeat the Dalhousie Tigers (8-5) 66-63 in comeback fashion on Saturday night at the Dalplex. The game was also in support of Bell Let's Talk Day, which occurs this Wednesday.

The contest was a tightly-contested defensive affair that saw a shift in momentum on numerous occasions. The Tigers held the game's biggest lead, of 11 points, but were unable to hold off a resilient UNB squad.

The first quarter was a see-saw battle, with the Tigers taking a 20-16 lead, on the strength of five consecutive points from guard Matt McVeigh (Tantallon, NS) in the final 17 seconds.

The Varsity reds kept pace in the second quarter, with forward Tyrell Leotaud (Ajax, ON) and guard Javon Masters (Kitchener, ON) leading the charge with 12 and 10 points, respectively. Forward Kashrell Lawrence (Brampton, ON) countered with seven points of his own for the Tigers, who went into the break leading 34-32.

Dalhousie would outscore UNB 13-4 through the first seven minutes of the third quarter, before the Varsity Reds came charging back with a 10-2 run of their own to end the quarter, and went into the fourth down by just three.

Both teams were firm in the paint, with forward Sascha Kappos (Miami, FL) recording two blocks Dalhousie, while Mayele grabbed three boards for UNB.

Masters led the charge for the visitors in the final 10 minutes of play, recording nine of his game-high 23 points in the fourth quarter, including two free throws with 3:53 remaining which tied the game up at 57.

Lawrence countered with five of his team leading 21 points for Dalhousie, including a free-throw with 3:21 left that gave the Tigers back the lead. They would hold onto that lead until the final 16 seconds of play, when Mayele grabbed a defensive rebound and finished off the play on the other end, with an and-one to give UNB a 64-63 lead with just six seconds left.

The Tigers had one last chance to emerge with the win, but were called for an offensive foul that effectively ended the game.

Both teams are back in action on Friday. Dalhousie will travel to face Cape Breton, while UNB will host Saint Mary's.